Job Opening at CLC: Vendor Relations Manager
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Vendor Relations Manager - Connecticut Library Consortium. Are you an avid fan of library services, preferably with an MLS degree and at least three years experience working in the library field? Are you ready to put your negotiation and library services passion and skills to use for the betterment of CT library users? If so, we would like to talk with you about our Vendor Relations Manager position!
Who we are: The Connecticut Library Consortium (CLC) is a statewide membership collaborative serving all types of Connecticut libraries by strengthening their ability to serve their users. We achieve our mission by initiating and facilitating cost-effective services, creating and supporting educational and professional development, and fostering innovation. CLC leverages "the power of WE" to save money and accomplish projects too large or costly for a single library. With over 800 library and school members, we help our members save, learn, and collaborate.
What you will do: As CLC’s Vendor Relations Manager, you will put your experience with and knowledge of libraries to use in these essential functions:
- Research & Development – Drawing on your knowledge of library environments, communities, and challenges, you will have your finger on the pulse of new trends and products most appropriate for CT libraries of all types and sizes. Evaluating, reviewing, and analyzing potential products for how they might solve member needs is a key component of your role. You will have the ability to identify new categories or expansions of existing categories.
- Purchasing & Bid Coordinator – Interfacing with vendors and suppliers, you will utilize your negotiation skills for contract terms, keeping in mind what is important to members. You will enjoy responsibility for the entire bid process for statewide contracts. Working with the Member Relations Manager, you will team up to identify key product issues and pricing levels, and evaluate current bids.
- Vendor Liaison – As the primary contact for all communication with vendors and suppliers, you will research and communicate all product issues or feedback. Biannual reporting of all savings and usage figures will provide quantifiable data on the significant value-add you provide to the organization and membership. Working with vendors and suppliers, you will develop and deliver effective marketing tools.
- Cooperative Collection Coordinator – You’ll work with our media circuit coordinators to streamline coordination, manage budgets, control costs, and unify product offerings statewide. You’ll also identify, develop and manage other cooperative collections that will serve CLC’s member libraries of all types.
- Training & Marketing – Training the Member Relations Manager and other CLC staff on all products and services and communicating key benefits to the Marketing Coordinator actively utilizes your teaching and speaking skills. From time to time you’ll also provide on-site and remote training on products and services to members.
- Reporting – You will be master of the vendor and contract files. Documenting contracts, negotiations, and creating summary reports on outcomes of product promotions on a regular basis will be your quantifiable story to share with the Executive Director. Supporting the ED with comparative information and contributing to grant proposals will be additional tools in your talent kit.
Knowledge and Skills you need: A bachelor's degree is required. An MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited program is strongly preferred. A minimum of three years experience working for or with libraries is required along with training/teaching experience.
- Strong knowledge of all types of libraries (academic, public, special, K-12)
- Strong knowledge of library products and services
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability and willingness to learn new software programs and technologies
- Strong project management skills
- An intermediate to advanced understanding of computer systems such as email, internet, and Microsoft software packages such as Word and Excel is required
- Ability to translate problems into opportunities
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent attention to detail and organization
- Excellent team and "can-do" attitude
- Collaborative work style
- Strong listener and observer
Travel: This position will require occasional travel attending conferences, meeting with suppliers/vendors or assisting at training events.
Salary range: $49,500 – $58,000 depending on experience. 35 hour work week. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, paid vacation and retirement savings plan.
Send resume with cover letter to: email@example.com by February 10, 2017.
CLC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status or any other basis prohibited by law. EOE, M/F/D/V