An international initiative that encourages families everywhere to take their children to their local library
Take Your Child to the Library Day 2017
WHEN IS IT?
The official date for 2017 is Saturday, February 4 - the 6th annual Take Your Child to the Library Day. But TYCLD is flexible and customizable - celebrations may take place on any date(s) in February that suit your library, your community, and your goals.
REGISTER YOUR LIBRARY'S PARTICIPATION!
Libraries everywhere except Connecticut: http://bit.ly/TYCLD17
Connecticut Public Libraries: http://bit.ly/TYCLD17CT
Take Your Child to the Library Day FAQ for Library Staff
WHAT IS TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE LIBRARY DAY?
Take Your Child to the Library Day (TYCLD) is an international initiative that encourages families everywhere to take their children to their local library. Launched in 2011 right here in Connecticut by librarians Nadine Lipman (Waterford Public Library, retired) and Caitlin Augusta (Stratford Library) with artist Nancy Elizabeth Wallace, TYCLD raises community awareness about the importance of the library in the life of a child, and promotes library services and programs for children and families.
WHEN IS IT?
TYCLD is officially held on the first Saturday in February - but the date is flexible! TYCLD celebrations may take place on any date(s) in February - it's up to your library. The official date for 2017 is Saturday, February 4 - the 6th annual Take Your Child to the Library Day.
WHAT DOES MY LIBRARY HAVE TO DO TO PARTICIPATE?
Whatever you want! That's why it's so easy!
- You can have a special event or performer or story time.
- You can offer a craft project or a scavenger hunt or a prize just for coming by.
- You can put up special decorations or have party snacks.
- You can celebrate however you like, as long as it encourages people to take their child(ren) to the library.
WHY SHOULD MY LIBRARY PARTICIPATE?
- It's really easy and flexible.
- It's a great way to demonstrate your library's importance to your community.
- It's an opportunity to market your library to non-users.
- You can be part of a national movement that raises awareness of libraries - and show your Connecticut pride because it started right here!
- And - you don't want to have to say "Oh sorry, we're not doing that" when someone shows up at your library looking for Take Your Child to the Library Day fun!
ARE TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE LIBRARY DAY MATERIALS AVAILABLE IN SPANISH?
Not at this time, but we're working on it.
IS THERE AN OFFICIAL HASHTAG?
YES! Please use #TakeYourChildtotheLibraryDay - it's long, but it gets the point across!
#TakeYourChildtotheLibraryDay on Twitter
#TakeYourChildtotheLibraryDay on Facebook
Marketing & Promotion
LOGO & GRAPHICS
The bookmarks and brochures provided below are designed to be used out in your community, not in your library. Distribute to any local agency/organization/business that serves children and families, so new users can discover your library on Take Your Child to the Library Day and beyond!
Customize the back with your library's info, or use the generic version suitable for all!
(1) Choose the customizable version of the back of the bookmark (in Word).
(2) Fill in your library's event and/or contact info in the first text box.
(3) Copy the same information into the other 3 text boxes.
(4) Print double-sided on card stock, using the generic bookmark front.
FRONT - generic (not customizable) - 4 per sheet
BACK - customizable Word version - 4 per sheet
BACK - generic (not customizable) - 4 per sheet
- Brochures - Print double-sided and tri-fold
PRESS RELEASE TEMPLATES
Thanks to a partnership among Take Your Child to the Library, Upstart/Demco, and CLC, a Take Your Child to the Library product line featuring original artwork by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace is available from Upstart/Demco! Available products include stickers, bookmarks, posters, bags, and library card holders. Your purchase of these products supports the work of CLC, along with Connecticut-based nonprofit organization Read to Grow.
ORDER DIRECTLY FROM DEMCO. CLC member libraries, make sure you are set up to order online and receive your CLC discount. Visit our supplies bid info for details. (Discount for CLC member Connecticut libraries only. Other libraries, check with your state library, professional association, or statewide/regional library consortium to see if you have a Demco discount.)
BROWSE ALL PRODUCTS
Stickers - I Visited My Library Today (200/pkg)
Stickers - 5 bunny designs (200/pkg)
"I Love My Library" library card holder (with bunny logo)
"I Love My Library" tote bag (with bunny logo)
Resources, Press & More
- Take Your Child to the Library Day Program Guide - Written by former children's librarian Patti Sinclair and produced by Upstart, this 20-page guide is full of program ideas, printables, booklists, crafts, games, and much more! And it's free!
- Make Your Library a Part of the Take Your Child to the Library Day Initiative! - Demco Ideas & Inspiration blog. Overview, graphics, resources, success stories, links, more.
- Take Your Child to the Library Day post-event press release template for libraries (2016) (Word file)
- Take Your Child to the Library Day blog - ideas, updates, program resources for library staff
- Take Your Child to the Library Day on Facebook
- Take Your Child to the Library Day on Pinterest
- Take Your Child to the Library Day on Flickr
- Take Your Child to the Library Day - from NYLA (New York Library Association)
- Take Your Child to the Library Day: When is it? What can I do? And why bother?!?
Very informative and resource-filled brochure for libraries interested in learning more and getting involved. From NYLA (New York Library Association).
- February 6 is Take your Child to the Library Day! - Public Libraries Online, January 19, 2016
- Libraries Change Lives, by Caitlin Augusta - CTHumanities, January 2016
- Get Ready for Take Your Child to the Library Day 2016 - School Library Journal, January 13, 2016
- February 1 is Take Your Child to the Library Day - School Library Journal, January 29, 2014
- Nation Heads to the Library - The Day, January 28, 2013
- "Take Your Child to the Library Day" Now a Nationwide Campaign - WTNH Good Morning Connecticut interview with Jennifer Keohane and Caitlin Augusta, January 26, 2013
Connecticut-Specific Info & Resources
2017 TYCLD REGISTRATION FOR CONNECTICUT PUBLIC LIBRARIES
Please take a few moments to register your Connecticut library's participation in TYCLD 2017:
2017 CONNECTICUT TYCLD PARTICIPATION MAP
Updated December 1, 2016. Click the map for resizable PDF version.
In 2013 and 2016, Governor Malloy's office issued official proclamations regarding TAKE YOUR CHILD TO THE LIBRARY DAY in the State of Connecticut.
2016 CONNECTICUT TYCLD PARTICIPATION MAP
Updated February 9, 2016. Click the map for resizable PDF version.